Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Yummy fall side dish

One of my favorite products of fall is apples. While the apple desserts and crunching on an apple for a snack is yummy I wanted to put them into my main meals. I love to make these cinnamon apples to go with just about everything from chicken to a roast. They're also very yummy on top of pancakes or waffles too. I hope you enjoy them as much as we do.

Cinnamon Apples

4 apples, peeled, cored and sliced
6 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup apple cider or juice
2 teaspoons corn starch
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

Melt the butter in a sauce pan. Add in the apples. Let cook for about 5 minutes tossing the apples to coat them well. Dissolve the cornstarch in the cider (or juice) and pour over the apples. Add in the sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Bring the apples to a boil. Turn down the heat and allow to simmer for 15 minutes or until the apples are tender but not mushy. Serve as a side dish or a topping.

You can cut down on the calories in this recipe by using light butter and Splenda Brown sugar.

1 comment:

Christina said...

I second this recipe. Loved it!